Are you tired of the same old groceries you pick out of the very few choices we have at Fortinos and Metro? How about a change? We got an idea for you…
Why eat local?
1. Taste the difference
2. Know what you’re eating: have more control over what we eat.
3. Meet your neighbours!
4. Get in touch with the seasons. Local foods are cheapest in the peak of their season. That’s the time to invest in your food and freeze, can, or dry some for later.
5. Save the world: food grown locally requires less fossil fuel consumption.
6. It’s healthy. Local quality is unbeatable. Locally grown food can be more easily raised without chemicals and additives since it doesn’t need to be transported. Also, local farmers provide less genetically modified foods.
7. Discover new flavors
8. Explore your home
9. Support small farms.
10. Support the local economy.
Source: 100 milediet.org and the Hamilton Spectator.
How to eat local and save lots of money?
1. Buy food from farmers’ markets.
2. Arrive at the market early, or late. The best-priced foods can sell out quickly. Also, vendors will often sell end-of-day food (especially in bulk) for less, rather than ship it back to the farm.
3. Do a walk-around. Quickly check the farmers’ market stalls for the best deals.
4. Do a fair comparison. Farmers’ market foods often have a higher sticker price. But wait – that head of lettuce is much larger than the one at the supermarket, and it’s organic. Compared pound-for-pound with supermarket foods of similar quality, farmers’ market foods may actually cost less.
5. Buy in bulk, buy in season. Local foods are cheapest in the peak of their season. That’s the time to invest in your food and freeze, can, or dry some for later. The outlay of cash can be a big bite, but in winter your grocery bill will be close to zero.
Source: 100 milediet.org.
Farmers’ Markets in Hamilton
Westdale Village Farmers’ Market
New! Operates every Saturday. You know where Westdale is. So the Farmer’s Market is located in the parking lot in front of My Dog Joe.
Hamilton Farmers’ Market
This is a big one! Located at Jackson Square Mall, 55 York Blvd. Open Tues & Thurs. 7 am to 6 pm; Friday 8 am to 6 pm; Saturday 6 am to 6 pm
Dundas Farmer’s Market
Newly opened! Operates Thursdays from 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Located at Lot 7D at Hatt Street and Miller’s Lane
Ottawa Street Farmers’ Market
Located between Cannon Street East and Edinburgh Avenue. South of Edinburgh Avenue behind stores on the East side of Ottawa Street. Days and Hour: Friday & Saturday 7 am to 3 pm.
Want to take it to the next level?
Try the 100 Mile diet! Check out: http://100milediet.org/
The Bubble Poppers