“A Pumpkin a Day Keeps the Mid-term Blues Away…”
As most of you have likely noticed, fall is here! The lovely colours, smells and feeling of the season are all great reasons to put on your rubber boots and sweaters and get outside. While the summer’s freshest fruits have left us, seasonal and local produce is right at our doorstep here in Hamilton.
October is the best time for ripe apples, pears, squash, pumpkins, potatoes, turnips, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, celery and so on! Given all of these choices, why not take a little trip out to the farm and pick up some of your own? Aside from getting great fresh, local produce, pick-your-own farms are a really neat experience (especially the city folk among us!).
If you’re looking for some entertainment, a number of local farms have Halloween and fall inspired attractions for everyone. Be sure not to miss out on the hayrides, corn mazes and haunted tours!
You don’t have to go far to experience the relaxing rural setting of a pumpkin patch this season — a number of farms lie just outside of the Westdale area. Below is a list of just a few of the local farms in the area.
For a complete list, visit http://www.environmenthamilton.org/eatlocal/
- Dyment’s Farm Market & Pumpkin Patch (416 Fallsview Rd. E. R.R. #2, Dundas) offers a pumpkin patch and wagon rides along the edge of the Niagara Escarpment
- Hanes Corn Maze offers a human-sized corn maze over 10 acres, fun for all ages! They also have pick-your-own pumpkins as well as a bakery and farm fresh eggs.
- Meyer’s Apple Farm is located in Copetown and offers pick-your-own areas; squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, glads, peaches, broccoli etc.
- Lindley’s Farm (900 Fiddler’s Green Road Ancaster, ON)
- Bennett’s Apples & Cider Ltd. (944 Garner Road East, Ancaster ON) offers apples, pears, squash, pumpkins, corn, sweet apple cider and baked goods
- Carluke Orchards (2194 Shaver Rd. South, Ancaster ON) offers apples, pick-your-own pumpkins, peaches, pears, plums and weekend wagon rides