Update from Our City Councillor!
1. Brian is now on Twitter – follow him at http://www.twitter.com/BrianMcHattie – trying yet another way to engage Ward 1 residents!
2. Participatory Budgeting Public Meeting – tonight! 7 pm, Council Chambers, City Hall
3. Dalewood Recreation Centre Pool – will be closed on Saturday, September 22nd for lighting upgrades
4. Open Streets – McMaster/Westdale Edition – Sunday, September 23rd, 11 am to 4 pm – In celebration of McMaster’s 125th anniversary, McMaster University is partnering with Open Streets Hamilton, and invites the community to McMaster and Westdale to explore, learn and play. This event will be the first expansion of Open Streets Hamilton beyond James St North.
Open Streets Hamilton is a community-based partnership dedicated to promoting active, healthy, and inclusive lifestyles by temporarily transforming streets into a shared space for everyone to experience. There will be food, music, community vendors & exhibitors, street art, family friendly programming, campus & Planetarium tours, a free educational lecture series, and open streets to walk, ride and roll down. (The streets [Sterling St between Forsyth & Dalewood & the McMaster campus] will be closed off to cars, to promote alternative transportation. However, there will be free parking that day for those for whom busing/walking/biking to the event is not an option).
5. Open Streets James North – Sunday, September 23rd, 10 am to 5 pm – Walk, Ride or Roll down James Street North between King Street West and Guise Street. Visit http://openstreetshamilton.ca/open-streets-hamilton-james-street-north/ for more information.
Note that shuttle buses will be available between James Street North and McMaster University.
6. Citizen appointments – Hamilton City Council will be appointing members of the public to fill vacancies on the City Housing Hamilton Board (1 member), Property Standards Committee (1 member), and the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum Board (4 members). Visit http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/CorporateServices/Clerks/CitizenAppointmentstoABCs.htm for more information. The deadline for applications is Monday, October 1st at 4:30 pm.
7. Coronation Minor Hockey – there’s still time to register – the season starts the 2nd week of October – visit http://coronationhockey.com for more information as well as the registration form.
8. Free Tour of the Glanbrook Landfill – Saturday, September 29th, 10 am – 2 pm – Do you know where your garbage goes? Join a free tour of the Glanbrook Landfill to learn more about how the City manages waste. Tours run approximately 20 – 30 mins.
Access to the tour is by shuttle bus only, picking up at St. Mark Catholic Elementary School, located at 43 Whitedeer Road. Shuttles run to and from St. Mark School every 30 minutes. Please wear flat, closed-toe shoes. While at the site, you can also explore Mighty Machine Area – kids can take pictures and see how the Green Cart Truck operates & Tent Area – Eco Fair/Information Booths, and BBQ with cookies and apples.