“Break the chain” of violence against women on February 14
We have all heard about cases of violence against women. But when it’s not close to home, it may be hard for us to truly understand the extent and gravity of the issue.
The One Billion Rising for Justice campaign exists just for that reason.
The campaign was launched last February 14, 2013 and saw one billion people across 207 countries rising and dancing to demand for justice and an end to violence against women and girls. This year’s movement is expected to escalate and continue the momentum from last year’s success.
On February 14 of this year at 12 Noon, the Hamilton community will unite in Gore Park participate in this action. The event is a collective effort among various community groups and individuals including McMaster’s Gender Studies and Feminist Research program, McMaster’s School of Social Work.
All are invited to take part in the march and rally that follows. There will be six meeting points where people can gather at 11:30 a.m. and march to Gore Park:
- Good Shepherd Women’s Services | 30 Pearl Street North
- Immigrant Women’s Centre (Main site) | 8 Main Street East
- Immigrant Women’s Centre (Rebecca site) | 182 Rebecca Street
- YWCA Hamilton and SACHA | 75 MacNab Street South
- Jackson Square | Intersection between James North & King St. West
- Women’s Centre of Hamilton | 100 Main St. East
One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime. That is one billion women. Join the movement in Hamilton this year if you’re passionate about this issue or would like to learn more.